Teachers of Tolosa, 1948

Tolosa School opened in a frame building by 1890.


 
Tolosa is located on Texas Highway 274 five miles south of Kemp, Texas,
at 32o 22’ 14” N Latitude, 96o 14’ 25” W Longitude. The Tolosa School stood on the east side of the highway a couple of hundred feet from where Highway 274 intersects with FM 3396 and CR 4042. For many years an annual fair was held on these grounds to raise money for the upkeep of both the Ware and the Baker Cemeteries which are nearby.
The frame school building was replaced sometime before 1925 by a brick one that stood until about 1949. In 1947 the Tolosa School was absorbed into the Kemp Independent School District and at that time the school records were lost. Judge Wayne Gent told the writer that the secretary of Tolosa Board of Trustees took the records of the school to his home where upon his death the papers disappeared. However, there are school census records for Kaufman County as far back as 1924 in the County Judge’s office in Kaufman. Also available from the records of Marie Reasonover is a listing of the teachers and trustees for 1897-1904. Although there are no pictures of these teachers, they are listed here.

Teachers at Tolosa1897-1903

1897-1998
W. A. Towson
W. T. Wood
1898-1999
W. H. Putnam
R. A. Dean
L. E. Dickson
1899-1900
Luta Collins
Elia Collins
Fannie Gaddis
1900-1901
Luta Collins
Elia Collins
Fannie Gaddis
1901-1902
Miss Luta Collins
Miss Elia Collins
Miss Fannie L. Gaddis
J. S. Millerman
Maude Millerman
Miss Lizzie Weatherly
1902-1903
J. S. Millerman
Maud Millerman
Miss Lizzie Weatherly