I Want a Copy-Death and Marriage Records of U.S citizens that Occurred in a Foreign Country

Death and Marriage Records of U.S Citizens that Occurred in a Foreign Country

The death of a U.S. citizen in a foreign country may be reported to the nearest U.S. consular office. If reported, and a copy of the local death certificate and evidence of U.S. citizenship are presented, the consul prepares the official Report of the Death of an American Citizen Abroad’ (Form OF-180). A copy of the Report of Death is then filed permanently in the U.S. Department of State (see exceptions below).

To obtain a copy of a report filed in 1975 or after, write to Passport Services, Vital Records Section, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC 20036. The fee for a copy is $50.00 per document. Please include a notarized request to include a picture ID. Fee may be subject to change.

Reports of Death filed before 1975 are maintained by the National Archives and Records Service, Diplomatic Records Branch, Washington, DC 20408. Requests for such records should be sent directly to that office.

Reports of deaths of persons serving in the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard) or civilian employees of the Department of Defense are not maintained by the U.S. Department of State. In these cases, requests for copies of records should be sent to the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100.

To obtain a copy of a Certificate of Witness to Marriage (FS-87) you may write to the address above, the fee is $50.00 per document. As of November 9, 1989 a Consular Officer no longer served as a witness to marriages performed abroad. Persons married abroad after 1989 may contact the embassy or consulate of the country where the marriage was performed for a certified copy. Foreign marriage documents are not maintained by the Department.

(Data checked and updated 4 July 2012.)